Ok so I was supposed to make this list for you guys on the 10th but a combination of laziness and scheduling and time management prevented me. I know, excuses excuses but hey I have what’s called a LIFE. I work, I swim and I have more things to talk about then just Toku. For this list Weapons and Henshin devices are off limits So if you think I’m just a comedian I’ll say this to you.
With that out of the way Here are my Top 10 Toku Items. WARNING: Coarse language sparsely included.
First an honorable mention…
The Advent Card decks in Kamen Rider Ryuki: Ok so this season had some of the stiffest acting of any rider season. But that’s a small nitpick. These card decks made me want to be more of a card shark. I’m not talking Yu-gi-oh or Magic the gathering but Blackjack, Poker etc. Ryuki might not be the best season Rider wise but its kind of like Hunger Games and if you read the books or liked the movies, check this out but the bad acting might stretch suspension of disbelief.
10. The Discs from Samurai Sentai Shinkenger: Ok So If you don’t know, Shinkenger is probably one of my favorite Super Sentai Seasons. Why? It was basically about a war between the two sides. These discs weren’t just for holding mech but also the source of their powers. You’re probably wondering what I thought of Power Rangers Samurai/Super Samurai. Well… They took the seriousness out of Shinkenger and replaced it with one liners. While that’s not a bad thing but for someone like me who enjoyed the Sentai I kind of would have liked to see something a bit more original. Case in point Space, Zeo or RPM. But if you’re a sentai fan or liked power rangers growing up and want to see a heavily Japanese inspired season. Check out Shinkenger.
9. The Astro Switches from Kamen Rider Fourze: Ok so I haven’t finished Kamen Rider Fourze yet but In Space was one of my favorite PR seasons from when it was in its prime. Kamen Rider not only has good action but some good slapstick. Plus with Meteor keeping his identity a secret to everyone but the audience it’s actually quite fun. It’s one of 3 seasons I’m considering of starting my protege on.
8. The Gaia Memories from Kamen Rider W: What do I like about this season? Well there’s a lot I like about this season. The fact that our rider is two Rider is for the price of one. It has one of the best themes. The fact that I could listen to it and imagine my protege and I kicking ass as W. Oh yeah, that little cunt Akiko. Good fucking g-d. Every time she’s on screen she’s either acting like a toddler with bipolar or getting kidnapped. Even in the Accel movie she’s not much better. Good g-d! Oh well, again minor nitpick.
7. The Cell Medals from Kamen Rider OOO: Ok so Kamen Rider OOO was actually my first rider season. It had fun and I LOVE Kougami. He is a true scene stealer. Because this blog is supposed to be for my good friend Emily and I know it’s a little late but
6. The Core Medals from Kamen Rider OOO: OOO was a great starter season, what more can I say?
5. The Power Coins from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: But Sam, this is a blog about Tokusatsu, you can’t include Power Rangers. Well if you don’t like stop reading the fucking blog and go watch some damn porn or trasformers ya fuckin idiot! Your stupidity will not be tolerated on this blog. I was 4 when MMPR came out. I acknowledge Power Rangers for what it is, Childhood memories. Unlike a lot of you lucky bastards I didn’t have a lot of friends to play power rangers with when I was little. But I digress. I don’t want to get into politics and policies here but I will say this, the memories stick with me and I will buy some props for nostalgia.
4. The Engine Souls from Go-Onger: Just as OOO was my first Rider Season, Go-Onger was my first Sentai. It’s very reminiscent of the 60’s Batman which I love. You’re probably wondering what I thought of RPM, I loved it. But we’ll delve into that further in October. As far as the war between power rangers and super sentai, let’s not go there.
3. The Zyudenchi from Kyoryuger: Ok so Kyoryuger has its problems and I haven’t bothered to see an episode of Dino Charge as I lead a busy life. I don’t have time for power rangers anymore. Excuses. But you know what? You try fitting in my activities and then tell me. But I digress. I love how these are presented.
2. 2. The Lockseed from Kamen Rider Gaim: Ok so I haven’t seen Gaim Yet but these make me hungry. But you know what, when I watch Gaim I am gonna munch on a #28 from Jersey Mike’s, some jelly bellies and a slice of pumpkin cheesecake.
And my absolute favorite toku item is….
- The Ranger Keys from Gokaiger: WAHHHH This is a cop out. Well if you think that, go grab a bottle you arrogant little infant. Gokaiger came out when I was going through an abusive relationship and it was my means of salvation. It brought my friend Katie closer together and it introduced me to my favorite sentai of all. Gai Ikari. If you ever actually have a conversation with me, know that I am very passionate like Gai is. My protege put it best, “Super Sentai ups the ante of power rangers.”
And those are my top 10 Toku gimmick items, if you like my list good for you but if you disagree
Thanks for reading and I’ll see you next month for Top 10 coolest British Accents and Top 10 Influential African Americans. This has been Sam from Sam’s thoughts and now you know what’s up.